Friday, January 30, 2009

Rick: A Kid at Heart

For those of you who don't know, I serve in the young womens program in our ward. So every Wednesday night I leave to go to mutual and my husband is nice enough to watch the boys so that I don't have to take them with me. Which I really do appreciate every week but to be honest I always get a little nervous at what I will find when I come home at the end of the night. Rick has a lot of creative ideas and I have come home to all kinds of different things. Like the time I got home and I could hear music coming from our apartment and I walked in to find them dancing around with their shirts off with plastic golf clubs as guitars, or the time I came home to find that they had all decided to give each other haircuts. I'm just never sure what to expect. Well this last Wednesday we had New Beginnings and Rick and the kids had dropped me off at the church because they didn't want to be stuck in the house all night. If Rick and I have learned one thing it is that our kids are easier to take care of when we are out and about. It is when we are all sitting home in our tiny apartment that we all drive each other crazy. So I knew that he was thinking about taking them to the mall after they dropped me off. I also knew that the toy store at the mall was having a huge going out of business sale. What I did not know was that my husband was going to feel the need to help the store out by buying the rest of their inventory. This is what I came home to on Wednesday night. A great big bag full of all this:


He kept trying to tell me what a great deal he gotten on all this stuff and I must admit that he did get a good deal. All these toys for about $15 dollars. He kept trying to tell me that we didn't have to give them to Tyler all at once or that we could even save them and give them to Tyler for his birthday in a few months. I really didn't care that he had boughten all this stuff that we didn't really need on our tight budget. My only issue was that I didn't know where we were going to put them all since I already feel like the kids toys are already TAKING OVER OUR ENTIRE APARTMENT. Anyways even though he had supposedly boughten all this for Tyler, for some reason he couldn't help himself and before he went to bed that night he had opened all the toys and set them all up and had played with them himself. Which makes me wonder if he really bought them for Tyler or if he bought them for himself. Either way I just thought it was funny that Rick couldn't help but be excited at the toy store. You see, in reality Rick is just a big kid at heart. That is why we love him so much and that is why he is such a fun dad to our boys!


3 comments:

crystal carlson said...

Rick sounds like an awesome dad--I'm sure your boys just adore him! I could totally see Danny doing something like that! Boys and their toys--it doesn't matter how old they are!

Ashley said...

haha, that's awesome! At least you guys have boys though. When Caleb comes home from being out with Adi it's hard to maintain his manhood because he usually has bags full of barbies, tutu's, tiara's and tinkerbell trinkets:)
Rick sounds awesome!

Trevan, Megan and Kaleigh! said...

I couldn't agree with you more about Rick being a kid at heart! He seems like a great dad making fun memories for both the kids and himself! And you too! I will always think he is a kid since after what he made me to at Cherry Hill!